Sunday, May 23, 2010

Overcoming Stigma

We are all familiar with the stares and queries about our natural hair. Even when I relaxed my hair, the time period between touch-ups would invite comments about my needing to hurry and get my hair fixed. Fixed. Really? I guess I am thankful that I was never comfortable with relaxing my hair, so when I went natural and starting to see my real hair I instantly fell in love.

Other men and women aren't so lucky. They are surrounded by people so removed from their true selves that any deviation from a perceived 'norm' is cause for shame and belittling.
We must keep reminding each other that there is nothing wrong with being ourselves. We must remind each other that what we are being told is normal is not our normal. We must remember what damage we inflict on our hair and scalp when we give into a Euro-centric beauty standard.

So next time you're out and about and see a sister or brother rocking natural style, give them a complement. If a friend comes to you asking about transitioning to natural, give them your support and guidance. If you find that you're close to going back to relaxed hair, remember these thoughts. Why did I want to go natural? What do I dislike about relaxing my hair? Think of the money all the money you've paid out only to get damaged, broken, unhealthy hair.

No comments: