Sunday, March 21, 2010

Wash Day-Jasmine's Routine

Hi Everybody! It's Sunday which means it is time to wash the mop and I wanted to share my current routine with you.
Disclaimer: My mother and her associates at Keepers of the Krown made their own line of haircare and body products. I have added them to my routine and soon these products will be available online. That being said, I will offer similar products I have used and still use alongside any Keepers of the Krown products.

What I use
What I Do
  1. I section my hair into three sections (back, left side and right side) and start to spray my hair with the water and castor oil mixture until damp but not soaking wet. I then work in sub-sections untangling my hair with my fingers first and use the comb on any stubborn spots re-wetting as needed. Once the sub-section is untangled, I spread the Oyin Handmade's Honey Hemp Conditioner on that section and proceed to the next area, using a hair clip the keep the conditioned sections out of the way. I leave it on for about an hour.
  2. Shower time! I start in the back and begin to rinse out the conditioner while using my wide toothed comb to do any left over detangling. After the conditioner is mostly out, I use Oyin Handmade's Grand Poo Bar to get the rest out without stripping away all the good stuff.
  3. After my shower, I wrap my hair in a T-shirt and let it dry for about 15 minutes. Armed with my spray bottle, shea butter and Aloe Vera Gel, I again start in the back. Usually, the back is still pretty wet, so all I have to do is use a little bit of shea butter from root to end. Lately, I have been rocking twists/twist and curl and twist-outs so this will be the example I use. Once I've used the shea butter, I coat the section in a thin layer of Aloe Vera gel, divide the section and twist away. I found that the Aloe Vera gel help smooth my hair, keeps the twist together without feeling gross ad gives it a little shine. I keep going with this pattern spraying my hair as it dries to keep it damp.
  4. Once all my twists are in (about 15-20) I use the smaller perm rods to roll up my twist overnight. Yes, these can be a pain to sleep in; but I've found a perm rod pattern that fits my sleep-style and I have used one of those neck pillows you find at the airport. Now I think my head is used to it.
  5. If I am going to undo my twists, I just put a little shea butter on my finger tips as I undo them. Depending on how big you want your hair, you can separate to the twists more for bigger hair (although you may get more frizz).

No comments: