Friday, July 02, 2010

8 Months Later...What I'm Seeing

Hi Everybody. So, I am seven months into my transition and I am learning so much about myself and my hair. Here is what's been going on:




  1. A return to my natural hair color: Relaxing my hair had certainly drained a lot of the color from my hair. It had become this sickly off-black, gross brown. Now, my hair is back to a healthy looking black.
  2. Added sheen: Now, I've never had that natural high sheen look that makes black hair look even blacker (my sister hair type has a high sheen appearance-it looks like doll hair); but I have noticed my hair keeps a certain amount of luster throughout the day. I've even thought at times that I've gotten a piece of lint in my hair only to find out it was just the light hitting my hair a certain way in the mirror.
  3. Overall improvement in the health of my hair and scalp: I've noticed a dramatic reduction of the amount of hair left behind when I handle it, so my split end are virtually gone. My hair retains moisture longer (which means I use less product, thus saving money). And the most important change has been the saying goodbye to a dry, itchy scalp. My scalp issues were so bad, I considered seeing a doctor or dermatologist; but I realized maybe the relaxers had a hand in this (duh).
  4. My hair has grown: Or rather, the rate of growth now outpaces the rate of breakage. I was wearing a twist-out recently and kept feeling something moving my collar. I reached back and noticed it was my hair! I stopped tracking length a long, long time ago, so when I noticed it I was surprised. More important than the length, I know that my hair is healthy and is responding positively to being in its natural state.
  5. My hair is more manageable than it has ever been: Okay, you may not believe me but it is true. Yes, I have more hair to deal with; but by knowing how to handle it and following a routine that suits my hair type and lifestyle it has made the act of combing and styling less stressful on my hair and scalp. I don't know what is going on or how to explain it; but I have a very 'tender head' and if I can detangle and style my hair without wincing, without losing a handful of hair all in less than 45 minutes, that equals more manageable.
  6. My hair is incredibly soft now: It's true. My hair hasn't been this soft since I was a child! I can take a handful of hair, smoosh it in my hands and not hear that scratchy, crinkly sound extremely dry and damaged hair makes (yes, I said smoosh).

No comments: