Sunday, April 04, 2010

My Hair Story, Pt. 2-The Decision to Go Natural

Shortly after my marriage, my husband and I moved to Ohio. It was the first time I didn't have constant criticism about what I should be doing to my hair, so I just let it be. I had no clue how to take care of it; but figured that doing nothing had to be better than getting it relaxed. This is when I became acquainted with scarves. I also wore my hair in two afro-puffs below my ears almost constantly. I was not completely "clean of my creamy crack addiction"; I still got my hair relaxed for weddings and funerals. This went on for about four years, and then I had my moment.

My sister, niece and I went out to California to visit our Mom. I don't know if it is California or the fact that I was born there; but when I visit I am filled with a feeling that I can do anything, be anything (and "Estimated Prophet" plays in my head). Anyhoo, my mom has always wanted locks and while she was living in California, she found a loctician any realized one of her dreams. She also wanted to learn how to create and maintain locks and enrolled in classes to do so. By the time of our visit, she was locking hair in her house with a growing clientele. Mom had been thinking of opening a shop of her own, but as these decisions are hard to make, she asked for the advice of her daughters. Both my sister and I knew that Mom was serious about natural haircare (as she always has) and is very focused and driven, so we told her to go for it. The rest is, as they say, history.


But it was in seeing the happiness of her and her friends that attracted me. I couldn't put my finger on it (and it would take me several more years to figure it out) but I wanted that same happiness. Once I returned to Ohio, I resisted relaxers for a long time; but I still didn't know how to take care of my natural hair. I tried all sorts of shampoos, conditioners and concoctions but my hair still didn't seem healthy. On my really bad hair days, I would resort to my flat iron; but the damage it was doing to my hair seemed exaggerated when compared to my natural hair. I must admit that I languished in this "hair purgatory" for a few more years. My husband and I moved back to Texas and it seemed the "you need to do something with that hair" pressure was ratcheted up. I even had a lady walk up to me in the mall and hand me her business card-she was a hairdresser of course and pleaded with me to "get that under control." Sham-freaking-wow.

Then it dawned on me, why not search the internet (they have that computers now) for tips on natural hair. I was about to go all natural when, one of my brothers-in-law passed away. As I mentioned before, old habits are hard to break, and I got a relaxer before the funeral. I tried to rationalize my choice but nothing I came up with felt right. That was my last relaxer-October 2008. It was a long time coming, it was a difficult road; but it was worth it. I have been loving my hair and myself like never before. Each day I learn something new about my hair, I find something new to appreciate about it.

We'd like to know what was your transition like? How long did it take you to reach a decision on going natural?

No comments: